Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Comfort food

What's your comfort food? Mine is mashed potatoes, with gravy! I made some yesterday, and am about to have some leftovers! It's that kind of day.

Passed yet another test (I've passed all of my tests thus far, with good standing - but good standing doesn't necessarily mean it's the grade I want). But I still get a DVM just like the 4.0 students will get :)

Today, I had to take Ari (my dog) into the clinic. This is the 2nd time this week. His lymphoma came back about 2 weeks ago and now we are trying a new protocol. But this one has been pretty rough for him so far (vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dehydrated). He's feeling better now that he's rehydrated, hopefully things will stay in control and we can adjust his chemo to a tolerable level. It's about quality of life, he's a dog and deserves to be happy and feel well and hopefully we can continue to keep him that way for awhile.

On another note, I had a good weekend. Friday I went dancing with Corey, Saturday Ian, Corey and I (and a couple other vet students) went to the race track in Muskegon. There were some big races Saturday night and I won $22. I got to go back to the testing barn and even found some old records from my horse Pito's racing days. It was a good time. Sunday we went to Bay City to visit family and had a great lunch at Sunrise Taquitos. It was a little weird with my mom not being there (physically) but I know, in some, capacity she was. There is talk of Thanksgiving in Bay City this year, it sounds fun. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea or not to go - it definitely would be wierd without mom. But who's gonna make the tarts if I don't carry out the tradition??? Anyway, after we went to Sunrise Taquitos, we went to my Uncle Ed and Aunt Karen's house. They supplied us with birthday treats and we had a nice time.

As I said, I had a test today and am feeling the need to relax a bit this evening - maybe a glass of wine and a movie. Unfortunately it will be by myself since Ian is in class in Detroit until 9pm.

Okay, mashed potatoes - here I come!

6 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Kid Sis said...

Hi Jill,

Sorry it's taken me so long to write. I was really affected by your Mom's death, and wanted to process it instead of contacting you and being an open wound. One of the thing's I hated during my mom's passing was when other people wanted me to help them with THEIR emotions! :)

My favorite comfort foods are popcorn, cheese, beer...anything with carbs.

I blogged about your wonderful mom the other day. I also started a blog about Fishies for my Mom and Lynne.

If you ever want to drop me an email or blog comment, please do. I'd like to support you any way I can.

Love,

Lis

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

I think it is a wonderful idea that you go to Thanksgiving. It will be good to be with family, and I think your mom would want you to go. Thanksgiving was hard for me after my sister died, and there was sadness and tears, but that is to be expected.

My comfort food is chocolate. Or crunchy junk food.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Julie said...

My comfort food is Hot and Sour Soup. Mmmm...yummy.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Julie said...

by the way, looking forward to your tarts at Thanksgiving.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Hi, Jill.

Hope you are doing ok.

If you think about it, have some chocolate cake day. It is the one year anniversary of my sister's, Laurianne, death from non-smoking related lung cancer, and she loved chocolate cake. So, in her memory and to celebrate life, I am appealling to the blogging community to have cake. :)

I have been thinking of you and Lynne, and I hope you are well. Let me know if you ever need someone to talk to.

Lynda

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Ash said...

Awe...you just made me think about the tarts! :( This will be wierd...(my comfort food is also mashed potatoes, with or without gravy) Miss you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home